10.21.2009

Tempe Campus

A Hispanic mother and baby sit on the train. The baby looks like it might be four-months-old or so, and it has  pierced ears, one of which is slightly deformed and looks Vulcan. The mother holds the baby so it can see over her shoulder, and I can't remember the last time I've seen a human being so enthralled by anything. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous in a small way- each time words flash on the LCD screen, each time the bell rings for the doors to open, it is thrilling and new. The baby turns to look out the window with equal delight. I remember Wordsworth-

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,  
  Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;    
    We will grieve not, rather find    
    Strength in what remains behind;    


Suddenly I feel old, even though I am in the prime of youth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home